Coffee Knowledge & Roasting Practicum Class | Coming Soon
PLEASE NOTE THIS CLASS WILL RUN SOMETIME IN THE SUMMER
Coffee Knowledge and Roast Theory (big day- good thing we have coffee!) 9am - 1:30pm
During the first part of class, we will take you on a journey from seed to cup. Learn all about the role of origin, coffee processing and quality determinants and see how these key factors impact the flavor profile of a coffee's unique expression.
1. Mythologies & History of Coffee
2. Coffee as a Brewed Beverage Throughout History
3. What Classifies a Coffee as Specialty Coffee and What is the 3rd Wave of Coffee?
4. The History of Cupping as a Quality Reference and as a Point of Communication
5. Common Descriptors of Coffee.
6. Brief History of Cultivars and Terroir
7. The Role of Aromatic Compounds in Coffee using our industry kit- Le Nez Du Cafe
8. Basic Botany
9. The Role of Processing in Coffee
10. Sustainability in Specialty Coffee
11. A Coffee Cupping with our Team
12. A Basic Introduction into the different types of coffee roasters- focusing on drum roasters
13. Basic Roasting Theory- the chemical transformations the coffee undergoes during the roasting process, roast profiling, roasting dynamics, difference between first crack and second crack. (And why 3rd crack is really bad- industry joke you will laugh at!)
15. Tricks of the Trade- air flow, Rate of Rise, Adding body or sweetness to your roasted coffee, heat transfer.
AND FINALLY- ROAST YOUR OWN BATCH! Pick 5# of any of our coffees and roast!